Skip to main content

Used Car title issue - State of IL

Chicago, IL |

I bought a used car in 2007 in the state of Illinois -- when recording the title, the state's data entry clerk entered the odometer mileage incorrectly, which in turn messed up my title with a "Not Actual Mileage" designation. I did not become aware of this error until many years later when I paid off my car loan and obtained the title document. The Illinois DMV is now refusing to correct the title since the car is no longer registered in Illinois. This error has cost me $2,000-$3,000 in value according to CarFax -- how can I pursue a legal remedy in this case -- Either to recoup the lost value and/or to force the state of Illinois to make the change?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Government entities enjoy broad immunity from lawsuits. Even if this was an exception, it would certainly cost you more than $3,000 to fight with them.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.