Skip to main content

USCIS Paperwork!

Houston, TX |

Can a Conditional LPR file for papers for his parents immigration?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Only US citizens can petition for parents, not permanent residents.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and should not be relied as legal advice on your case. You may call my office at (832) 305-5382 to schedule a consultation if you require specific legal advice. Law Offices of Hector J. Lopez. 1201 South Shepherd Dr. Houston, TX 77019.


My colleague is right.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.


No, you must wait until you are a US citizen to petition for your parents.


No. Must be a USA citizen.


I agree with my colleagues, only a USC can petition for a parent. However, if you are the spouse of a USC, you may qualify for citizenship after three years (rather than five) of obtaining your CR status.


Unfortunately not yet. You need to naturalize and become a US citizen BUT then its a fast track application since now they are in a preferred class called"immediate relatives" and then you can sponsor them without delay for green cards.



The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez, Elizabeth Cedillo or Yong Wood as highly skilled and experienced. In South Texas I recommend Jodi Goodwin from Harlengin or Leonel Perez of Edinburg. In San Antonio I recommend Bob or Nancy Shivers or drive to Austin to see me or my talented associate Jacqueline Watson.


No. Please do not forget that a conditional LPR must solicit within 90 before the 2nd anniversary of the conditional LPR to have such condition removed. To answer directly, only a US Citizen may petition for Parents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer