Skip to main content

Us citizen petitioning for parents who came to US legally but overstayed their visa and worked illegally

Bayside, NY |

Do they have to file I-485 Supplement A? They were admitted into US with tourist visa. I-485 Supplement A says:
"You do not have to submit Supplement A to Form I-485 if you:
C. Are applying to adjust status as the spouse or unmarried minor child of a US citizen or the parent of a US citizen child at least 21 years of age, and you were inspected and lawfully admitted to the United States other than in C-1 or S nonimmigrant status."
However, it also says in I-485:
"you are not eligible for adjustment of status if any of the following apply to u:
D. Your authorized stay expired before you filed this application;
E. You were employed in the United States without USCIS authorization prior to filing this application;
F. You failed to maintain your nonimmigrant status, other than through no faul

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Your parents are considered immediate relatives and therefore should not have issue adjusting status. No 485A should be needed

I would contact an attorney to confirm this

Note: The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.

Best regards,
Neil I Fleischer
The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC
917 Main Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314
Direct telephone: 513 977 4209
Email: WEB page:
Check out our blog for a humorous but informative look at immigration law
http://immigrate2usa.blogspot com


You are going to need to speak with an attorney and it is recommended you hire one. Feel free to contact me for a free consultation.