Skip to main content

URGENT!!! How long will it take to get my husband a greencard.

Mesquite, TX |

I am currently a Legal Permanent Resident. I am aware that a legal permanent resident can petition to bring over their spouse/get them a green card. I know that I have to file the I-130 form. Now, what else will be needed after this? If it makes any difference, my husband is Zambian by birth, though is a legal permanent resident in the UK.

How long will the total process take before my husband can get his green card and come to America to be with me.

Please get back to me as soon as possible on this.

Kindest Regards :)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Priority dates are changed every month, so it is hard to predict exactly how long it will take. Presently, the category for spouses of lawful permanent residents is currently at October 8, 2011. This means that only those individuals who started their case on or prior to that date are just now eligible to apply for the last step in green card processing, which is called an Adjustment of Status if the beneficiary is in the United States, or Immigrant Visa Processing if the beneficiary is outside of the United States.

Therefore, roughly, you are looking at about 2 years, beginning to end, give or take a couple of months in either direction. If you qualify for Naturalization, you should apply as this will significantly shorten the wait for your husband.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


It is not URGENT at all. You have at least three years to wait once you do what you say you know to do.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


How long have you had your residency for? Consult with a immigration attorney to see if you qualify to file for naturalization. The process will be a lot faster. You can look at the uscis website for priority dates under family based petitions.


Urgently meet with a local immigration counsel of your choice as there are many issues you need to be advised correctly.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Nothing urgent here. It will take however long it takes for either you to become a US citizen, or for his priority date to become current, plus processing time.

However long it takes for the priority date to become current. The movement of priority dates cannot be predicted.

For the latest visa bulletin see

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.