Skip to main content

Uninsured and hospitalized, qualify for "discount" but not State or Federal Aid, neither Medicare or Federal Poverty Level.

Laguna Beach, CA |

I was in the hospital for 2 days, they will charge me $7000.00 @$200 per month, I can't afford that, so now their going to charge me the full amount $17070.00! I've written the CFO along with the head of billing and they won't consider anything else. I live with my husband & granddaughter, last year made a little extra, this year (2010 taxes) there's less. I'm told they can take husband's retirement ( they have to give it back in about 60 days) if there is a judgement and we will have no money to live on, no place to live etc.. Can't claim Chapter 7 we did that 9 yrs 6months ago. Their going by 2009 tax year. We will have less money yearly until 2012/13 and I have Medicare, then surgery and retrain for different job. I've followed Title 22, in good faith, I'm still what?

I had a horrible experince with A Payday Loan place after my mother died, thet threathen me with jail, tried to up the bill and I just found out I didn't have to pay those government checks back. I have always told in writing the hospital, I would pay the $7,000.00 they won't even put it in writing!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I am sorry to hear that the hospital is not working with you. I agree with the previous posters that you should be elgible to file for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy since the waiting period for another Chapter 7 is eight years after your discharge. I am not sure if you have health insurance right now. I usually recommend that you have health insurance before filing for bankruptcy in case you end up in another situation with outrageous medical bills. So, be careful, do not rush into a bankruptcy filing if you do not have health insurance. Hang in there, I am sure there is a solution. You should speak with a knowledgable bankruptcy attorney to see if you need to file now or if it would make sense to wait.

Please note that although this answer may provide information concerning potential legal issues, it is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified counsel. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not create any attorney-client relationship between you and Kelly Zinser, Shareholder at Olenicoff & Zinser, PC in Irvine, California. For more information on bankruptcy, please see our website.


If you received your bankruptcy discharge more than 8 years ago which should be the case unless your discharge was not issued for an unussually long period you are eligible for a Chapter 7 if you qualify financially. You should contact a local BK attorney to discuss your options to see if you can get relief from your debts.


You can file Chapter 7 once every 8 years and usually qualified retirement accounts are exempt from collections and exempt in bankruptcy.

More than likely you qualify for some form of bankruptcy relief right now. Consult with a local bankruptcy attorney immediately as your options will be dependent on your household income, family size, and the types and amounts of debt you currently owe.

*Response is informational only and does not create an attorney client relationship.*

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer