Skip to main content

Unfortunately,I've been arrested for 1st time OUI.I've been told that at hearing I can speak w/a DA.Should I obtain DUI Atty?

Hartland, WI |

As I've never been in this situation before, I have a lot of questions re: reinstating driver's license, etc. I was told by police dept. that at my hearing I would be able to speak w/a District Atty. Should I obtain a DUI lawyer prior to this or rely on the DA?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The DA is the prosecutor who represents the state and not you. They wish to resolve their cases efficiently without exploring all of your defenses or explaining the long lasting consequences this will have on your life, job, insurance, good reputation, etc. The DA will sometimes appear very friendly and ethical, but they are not your lawyer. You absolutely must consult a lawyer in your area immediately. Even if you do not wish to take your case to trial, a lawyer has all kinds of issues they need to evaluate that could have a huge difference in the outcome if the case. Good luck.

Remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Jim Mitchell Medley

Jim Mitchell Medley


Get representation. Really?! Someone at the POLICE DEPT told you to just TALK TOTHE DA?! Wow.


The DA is not your friend. The DA is the prosecutor trying to punish you for what he alleges to be a crime. First mistake is listening to a police officer. The cop is not your friend. The cop ARRESTED you and accused you of a crime. THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO GET A LAWYER.

Lawyers make them work. Lawyers make them do their jobs correctly. Lawyers make them obey the Constitution. Lawyers work to reduce punishments and save driver's licenses.

Get a lawyer to help you. If you do not, you will regret it.

Good luck.


Please note that any DA assigned to your OUI pending case is NOT your attorney and DOES NOT represent your legal interests, but the interests of the State of Wisconsin or that county. Retain a counsel to protect your valuable driving privileges.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


You need an experienced attorney to help you. OWIs have many time sensitive deadlines and administrative appeal deadlines that require experience to successfully navigate. An attorney can be a skilled negotiator and get you the best offer if you do not want to go to trial.

This is not intended as legal advice. It is only provided for educational purposes and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Further no attorney client relationship is or has been formed by answering this question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer