Skip to main content

Unethical attorney.... or so I beleive.

Marlton, NJ |

I mean no disrespect to any attorney on here, however, if I am reporting my attorney for unethical issues, should I let them kno

I am receiving bills from my attorney and I beleive there were unethical practices that I would like looked into. I am receiving bills (case is over). Should I make them aware of this or just ignore the bills to i hear from the bar association?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No disrespect taken. If someone is engaging in a pattern of behavior which is unethical, it should be reported. Before reporting the matter, I would suggest that you contact the attorney regarding the bills. Sometimes there is a reasonable explanation and the matter can be resolved amicably. If it cannot be, you have two means of recourse. First, you may file an ethics complaint. It may result in disciplinary action against the attorney. Second, you may file an action for fee arbitration. That will resolve any fee dispute. You may do both. Good luck.

This response does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. It is also not to be taken as firm legal advice as such would be contingent on a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter. The response is meant to be a helpful guide to a question in a manner which reflects the limited information provided by the inquirer.



What about attorneys who reciprocally endorse each other on web sites intending to deceive people who are looking for objective opinions? Would that be grounds for a complaint?

Thomas Devlin Begley III

Thomas Devlin Begley III


Good question. I am not sure about the answer. If you can demonstrate an intent, you might have something. Having said that, I agree with you to the extent, I see a lot of reciprocal promotion which can make one wonder if it is being made in good faith. I will note that I endorse others, but do not seek endorsements, and my endorsements are based on experience with individuals who are endorsed. I think they can be helpful. As you know by now, it's not easy to find a good lawyer. I hope you have had some luck in resolving your issues.


Respectfully, I would suggest speaking with the attorney as it may be that there was a billing error or that he can explain what occurred. Even if you do plan to go ahead with the filing of a complaint, take the high road and let him know.


Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.


Both attorneys offer sound advice. You should give this attorney a chance to explain and if your concerns are valid he may respond accordingly. This could resolve the matter.

Listen, most attorneys really try to keep clients happy and feeling that their fees are warranted. Most attorneys do not want dissatisfied clients. So talk with the attorney and really lay out your concerns and your objections to the bill. A good attorney will work with you if you have a valid complaint.

If this fails then of course you can pursue the harsher and more involved alternatives discussed.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is and his blog is

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer