Skip to main content

Underage driver using a neighbors car has an accident on that persons property.

Madison, WI |

Who would be liable if a neighbor who disregards my wishes to not let my unlicensed 12 year old drive a motor vehicle on his farm does and an accident occurs.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You, Your neighbor, the owner of the tractor, and your son could be liable.


More facts are needed. Was anyone injured?

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.


Generally, as you state the question, the vehicle owner who permitted the child to operate without parental consent would seem to bear primary liability. The specific law that applies will differ depending upon what type of vehicle it was, as farm implements, recreational vehicles, and vehicles licensed for operation on the roads are addressed by different statutes. That doesn't stop a plaintiff looking for coverage from suing you anyway, so report the incident to your insurance company.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.


Could be you, your son, your neighbor, and tractor owner if different than neighbor. If your son sustained injuries, have a local personal injury lawyer investigate.


If happened in Wisconsin, consult a Wisconsin lawyer asap.