Skip to main content

Underage consumption citation - how should I proceed?

Saint Paul, MN |

This weekend I was stopped by police while walking a very drunk friend home from a party and given a citation for underage consumption. Since I had been drinking I plan to plead guilty. Is there anything I can do to try to reduce the fine? Also, I understand that underage consumption is a (not-petty) misdemeanor in Minnesota and that in the future I will have to answer 'yes' if asked if I have ever been convicted of a crime on job applications. When I turn 21 later this summer is it worth attempting to get my record expunged? The process looks lengthy and complicated. Thank you for your help.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Regardless of what may have happened, there still may be possible defenses (or even an opportunity to exclude some evidence); therefore, I would not recommend pleading guilty without at least talking to an attorney about the situation. Also, I would advise that you do not post the facts online, as these communications are not privileged.

If there are no defenses, or decided that your best option is to attempt to resolve the case, then there are still ways to resolve the case without it resulting in a conviction. One way is what is often referred to as a continuance for dismissal (which does not require a guilty plea).

I hope you find this information helpful and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.


Hello. Please confer privately with an attorney regarding this matter. We attorneys train for years to assist others and we engage in ongoing continuing education in law. I do not doubt that you have done extensive research on your own, and you state that your plan now is to plead guilty. Again, please seek out private attorney legal advice immediately. Yes, it is agreed that the process for an expungement is complicated and lengthy. All the best.


If you broke your arm, you wouldn't try to set it yourself. Don't try this without a lawyer.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.


If you don't have a long history of this sort of thing, keeping it off your record can be achieved through prudent negotiation. I've never seen anyone get executed jail for a minor consumption unless it was there 5th offense. Why plead if it's unlikely you'll go to jail anyway? If there's no offer to keep it off you record, and you seem VERY concerned about your record, you should hire a lawyer for the absolute best outcome.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer