Skip to main content

Unclaimed Property from the State of Michigan Department of Treasury

Southfield, MI |

My mother-in-law died in 1997 and she had an insurance policy from prudential insurance which she got through AARP. My husband received the check for one thousand dollars,but the stipulations for cashing the check which would jeopardize our finances we couldn't agree to. We were advised by our then attorney not to cash the check. We forgot about it. Recently we noticed my mother-in-law's name in the Michigan department of Treasury, unclaimed property division. We inquired and sent copies of her death certificate , my husband's birth certificate . We received a letter from the state of MI stating that they need documentation associating the decedent with Prudential Insurance. We have no account numbers so we called Prudential and they have no record of her insurance. My question is what can we do about this on our own since the payment is only one thousand dollars?Thanks Nancy

+ Read More

Attorney answers

There are no attorney answers yet. But, check back regularly—people often get a response within 12 hours.