Skip to main content

Unauthorized work on F-1 visa

Brunswick, OH |

This question has been asked before but I do not know what the next step is. I have an F-1 visa and am in the process of filling out the forms (i-130 and i-485) for a green card. Through school, I had a part time job which I now think was a big NO NO. How can I clear this up before I try to file for my green card? I talked to my DSO and she has no clue.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are marrying a US citizen, it should be ok, I would disclose it, if possible

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at



Thank you for the information. Yes, I married an American. We are just now starting to process for a green card.


If you are adjusting your status as an immediate relative, your unauthorized employment will be forgiven.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You cannot change the past.

If you are filing for adjustment of status based on marriage to a US citizen, unlawful employment is not a bar.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer