Skip to main content

Unable to locate non custodial parent for completion of parentage case. Need assistance in resolving this matter.

Tacoma, WA |

Military PCS'd Dec . '11 . Non custodial parent relocated during same time frame . Attorney for non custodial parent withdrew from case in Jan . '12 . Trial date was set for Jul . '12 and dismissed due to absence of non custodial parent and my attorney . Contacted my attorney to re - open the case and proceed . Unable to do so due to unknown whereabouts of non custodial parent . Last known whereabouts Dallas , Texas . Non custodial parent is illegal immigrant with criminal record . Need parentage case completed in order to obtain passport for my child due to possible overseas orders . Have not spoken nor heard from non custodial parent since Feb . '11 . Need explanation of what actions to take in order to resolve parentage case . Case was opened in Tacoma , WA at Pierce County Superior Court .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are a number of alterntives process whcih would require court appoval. Please scheudle an apointemt with an attorney to assist you.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements



Currently I reside in St. Robert, Missouri. My attorney has not given me any legal advice other than to utilize "skip trace" to locate the non custodial parent. I have used other means via the internet to locate the non custodial parent, however I receive out of date information. I have contacted my attorney and am awaiting a response.


If the NCP was properly served, and had an attorney, and has now fallen off the planet, you can inform the court of what has transpired, and then ask the Court to enter orders anyway. Your case was probably not actually dismissed - if that is true then you need to ask to have the order of dismissal vacated.

There are lots of good family law attorneys available in Pierce County who can help you with this. Rachel Rolfs is especially good with absconding NCP's. Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.


A parentage petition can be served even if the noncustodial parent cannot be found. Basically you need to get a court order authorizing "substituted service" by certified mail or by publication in a newspaper. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on service of process and parentage cases for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer