Skip to main content

U.S citizen petitioning for sibling.

Seattle, WA |

I am a U.S citizen. My sister from Turkey has been staying with me for 2 months on a tourist visa. If I petition for her, can she stay in the U.S. while the case is pending?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No, sorry. A sibling petition under current law takes 10-14 years to become current and have a visa number available.

An immigrant petition filed on a sibling's behalf does not give any right to remain in the US. To remain, sister must otherwise find a valid nonimmigrant visa category (student, work, etc.) to remain in valid lawful status in the US.

Iyı akşamlar dılerım.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Not only can she not stay longer than her nonimmigrant status or its legal extension, if any, allows; if petitioned by you, she will be very unlikely to come back to visit you in the next 14 years or so.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Sadly, no. I'd be happy to explain more, but that's the straightforward answer

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer