Typical fee charged by immigration lawyer to apply for an extension of stay on behalf of a client with a visitor's visa to US?

Central Islip, NY |

My wife and I arrived in the US about 10 days ago. We were both given permission to stay in the US until January 2, 2012. She is in her 3rd trimester of pregnancy. She developed serious back pains soon after arriving. Rushed to the hospital about 5 days later and seen at the labor and delivery suite of the hospital. An emergency medicaid application was applied for. Doctor advised against travel at this period because of risk associated with this and now we need to apply for extension of stay for her.

Best Answer

Sorry to hear of your wife's troubles and I hope all is now going well. However, this forum is not the place to quote a legal fee and doing so is inappropriate. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of the case to determine exactly what needs to be done. Once that is clear the attorney should be able to provide you with an estimate of the anticipated legal fees and costs.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Good answer!

You can check teh AVVO profiles and then contact several to get a quote. The fee charged is based on the experience of the attorney, the amount of work to be done, and what the current local market will accept. An AVVO posting is not the way to request quotes as all information including comments are published and available to the general public. Good luck with the pregnancy.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

It depends on the lawyer's experience. I don't suggest that you file for the extension immediately (too soon). it may raise red flags when it comes to non-immigrant intent.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

You need to get a letter from doctor and file for extension.

Ilona Dzhamgarova

Ilona Dzhamgarova

You have to file for extension at least 30 days before the expiration of your I 94

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

Attorney Dzhamgarova has provided you excellent advice.

I agree with my colleagues. There is no such thing as a "typical fee." Fees depend on a lawyer's experience and expertise, as well as the complexity of a particular case.

Good luck!

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A consultation with an experienced attorney is always the best way to go.