Skip to main content

Tunisian GAY for asylum.

San Diego, CA |

I'm a J1 visa immigrant since June 2012. I'm from Tunisia. I would like to know how I can process for asylm as GAY , Need I a lawyer? How much cost? and what is my chances to obtain it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Just being gay isn't in-and-of-itself a reason to qualify for asylum.

You will need to demonstrate the Tunisian government has persecuted you, or that you have a reasonable expectation of them persecuting you.

Meet in private with an attorney and have him/her evaluate your case for the cost of a consultation fee ... it will be well worth the investment.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


The process involves filing an application with USCIS for asylum. You must prove that you have been or will face persecution in Tunisia if you return because of your sexual orientation. There are a lot of standards that must be met in order to win an asylum case. Eighty percent of all asylum applications are denied. While you can file on your own without a lawyer you should get an attorney because of the complexity of the process and the difficult standards that must be met. The cost depends on which attorney you hire. You may have other options. It would be best to consult with an immigration attorney.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer