Skip to main content

Trying to stay in the US.

Bedford Park, IL |

I'm in the United States on a visitor visa. I have two young US citizen children here, under the age of 18. I came from Kuwait, as a refugee from Syria. My father is wanted by Assad for political reasons and my family fled. I was diagnosed with cancer while here about a month ago. Treatment in Kuwait for refugees is very bad. I also fear for my life if I return to Syria as my family is wanted by government forces. What routes are avaliable to me to extend my stay? Asylum or medical?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney about your case. Depending on many details that you would need to discuss with an attorney, some possibilities for you might include applying for asylum, and/or applying for temporary protected status.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You may qualify for asylum.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Asylum is one route. The best advice I can give you is to consult with an immigration attorney.
Rochelle Inger, ESQ 845-270-0601


Asylum is an available option. Do retain an attorney for this important application.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.