Skip to main content

Trying to get my name off of a mortgage with another person for over a year. What can I or do I need to do.

Charleston, WV |

Purchased a mobile home with another person. Have given the person over a year now to get the paper work done to get my name off of the mortgage. He still has not did this. What can I do or what do I need to do to resolve this matter.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am going to presume you are not on title to the real estate on which the home sits. I would contact the mortgage company directly to see what can be done. At some point, however, he'll need to cooperate. Unless you have a written agreement with him that he was to allow you off the mortgage at a given time, not sure if you can force the issue. If you owned the real estate with him, a partition case could force the issue, but I don't belive that remedy is available to you for just a mortgage or an item of personal proerty like a motor home. Speak to a local attorney about that.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer