Skip to main content

Trying to get a Final Adoption Decree so my daughter can become a US citizen.

Belleville, IL |

We live in Belleville Illinois . My daughter was adopted internationally from Russia in 1999 our port of entry was Chicago IL. and the adoption agency we used was based in St Louis Mo. they are no longer in business. The immigration dept says we need the final adoption decree we cant find it where can we get a copy? need your help thanks Craig

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Start with a phone call to the port of entry agency involved.


You need to check with the state where the adoption agency you work was located to see if their files were transferred to another agency. Many times when an agency closes, their files are transferred and retained by another agency in that state. If that is not successful, you may consider contacting the Russian Consulate to see if they can be of assistance in obtaining a duplicate copy of your adoption decree.

Additionally, once you do have a copy of the dcree, if you did not do a re-adoption after you adopted your daughter internationally, you may want to consider doing so now. A re-adoption would give you confirmation by a local court as to the validity of the foreign adoption; at the end of the re-adoption, you would be able to apply for a Certificate of Foreign Birth which can then be used in place of the foreign birth certificate.

Many attorneys, including me, do offer a free initial consultation. You may want to consider contacting an attorney to assist you with this.

Sara Howard is an attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois since 1983. Her practice concentrates primarily in adoption and family law.. Any response to a question on AVVO does not constitute an attorney client relationship, but is general information based on the limited information provided.


Why not hire an adoption lawyer to do all in vesting active work for you?

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.