Skip to main content

Truancy Warrant in Texas?! PLEASE HELP, I AM SCARED...

Richmond, TX |

hi i am 18 years old. i haven't been in school in 2 years, however my last year in school i got truancy (4th time) all they did was give me a 90day probation where i cant miss school. but i dropped out, and i also never paid the fines. i am now in GED classes, but 5 days ago i recieved a letter saying immediate arresst with my name, and today i recieved a green one saying "serving arresst warrant"
i know its from those fines. so my questions are...
1. Am I Still able to pay off those fines instead of serving jail time?
2. if i do serve jail time, how long would my sentence be?
3. if i am able to pay, whenever i go up to pay it are they going to set me up and arresst me? is it best if i have someone go up there to pay it for me??


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to discuss this with your parents and hire a criminal defense lawyer ASAP. Pay the fines, get written proof of your GED classes and attendance and bring them to your attorney. Get proactive, you need an attorney to locate the case, redocket it and appear before the court.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


I agree that you must act without any delay:
1. Meet with a local criminal counsel to determine which county and court that warrant originated from,
2. Prepare a plan of action to complete or expedite your GED certificates or attendance compliance to show as required in court,
3. It is unlikely, you will be remanded to custody, yet your case requires a good criminal counsel to advocate for you vigorously to keep you out of jail,
4. I am not certain what payment options may be offered there, yet, your counsel may suggest other applicable alternatives such as community service in lieu of the fines, if permitted.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


The laws regarding juveniles and failure to attend school are unique as well as changing in Texas. It would be best to speak with a Texas criminal defense attorney in your area. Some things to think about:
1A- Finish your GED ASAP! This is not only a step you need to do for your life, but the laws in Texas changed 2 years ago so that anyone who has a diploma or GED can submit it to the court and all pending Failure to Attend School charges must be dismissed. Expunction is also mandatory for the court if you present proof that you finished school.
B- In Texas, you can be taken into nonsecure custody (think taken in until you can be processed) for a crime that you committed as a child, but you can't be arrested on an arrest warrant for a crime committed as a child. If these charges are 2 years old from when you were 16, you can't be "arrested" for those crimes.
C- It's possible that you now have additional charges filed against you as either a child or an adult (you became one at 17) if you have violated a continuing obligation to appear (VCOA), failed to update your address, etc.

If this happened in a Municipal or Justice Court, it is a criminal matter, and your "probation" was probably under Deferred Disposition. If you didn't follow the terms, they already had your plea, and they were required to schedule a show cause hearing where you could have gone to give a reason why you should not be convicted. If you didn't go, you were probably convicted. This would be the source of any fines and court costs owed.

This is for informational purposes only, you should consult an attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us due to your question and my answer.