Skip to main content

Traveling to India with EAD and offer letter. What documentation do I need to carry when flkying back to US?

Urbana, IL |

I am a F1 undergrad student and I am graduating on 22 december 2012 (My I 20 expires on this date). My Visa date expiry is in 2015. I have a job offer whose start date is on February 11. I have applied for OPT and have received I765 notice a week ago - I am expecting to get the EAD card in Feb 2013.
I am planning to go for a 2 month vaction to India (jan 7 2013 - March 7 2013) before I start my job. My comapany is willing to adjust the starting date. I ll get the extension document from mycompany before travelling to India. My sister will mailout my EAD to India once it has been delivered by USCIS.I was told that carrying my EAD card, offer letter, F1 Visa and I94, startting date extension letter is sufficient while coming back. Is there anyother documentation I should carry?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Take the I-20 if you can.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Dear Sir or Madam:

I would agree, you should take Form I-20 and perhaps even a copy of your application for OPT and employment authorization and school transcripts in a separate envelope to be presented only upon request to be on the safe side. This way you will be able to show that you are still within the authorized period of your F-1 visa.


Your passport, unexpired F-1 visa, I-20 form endorsed by the DSO, copy of the I-765 application and receipt, official transcripts showing completion of your studies, graduation and major, a letter from the company you'll work for confirming your job title, duties, compensation and start date, proof of financial ability (bank account statement e.g.) and anything indicating that you plan to return to India after your F-1 duration of status and OPT is completed.

Scott D. Pollock