Skip to main content

Traveling & Moving While On Probation

Marietta, GA |

I am on misdemeanor probation in Cobb County. I understand that in order to travel out of state, I need permission from my probation officer. However, what about traveling long distances WITHIN the state? For example, if I wanted to go to Savannah for the weekend, would I still need permission? What exactly are the limitations that I have for traveling within the borders of Georgia?

Also, what are the restrictions on moving while on probation. I live in Cobb, but my lease is up soon and I am looking at moving towards the Cherokee county area since the property values are cheaper. Do I need permission to do this, or do I simply need to tell my officer of the move? (In other words, can she tell me I cannot move or am I only obligated to keep her in the know?)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Call your PO and make sure that you arrange any moves between counties. BEFORE you move!

While I can't speak for Marietta area, probation departments will usually accomodate in-state moves.

Clark County, NV practitioner.


Call Or VISIT probation officer and let them know you will be in Savannah. They should agree without any problem. Before moving, notify probation officer that you are moving and make sure they have your correct address. Permission not required, notification is.


Theses type of questions should be directed to your probation officer. The P/O officer has your sentencing documents and know what your restrictions are.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
- William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.



I realize that, I really do. But leaving messages with my officer or expecting her to call me back is an exercise in futility, and the few times I've tried to stop in and see her she has been "in a courtroom" or "on vacation" or any other derivative of "not here". I believe I'd sooner get a hold of the Wizard of Oz before I'd get in contact with her.

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III


Write a letter (retain copy for your records) and/or email (copy for your records).


I agree with the others that you need to notify probation of these change of address, then follow up with a letter to them (and keep a copy). Also, get a copy of your sentence and probation conditions, as these will spell out exactly what your restrictions are. Finally, even if there is no restriction, it is always best to keep your probation officer informed in person and in writing of any significant changes. Even if they cannot legally do something to you they will hold it against you, and can be spiteful at times. I always tell my probation clients to treat their probation officer with politeness and respect, as it makes things much smoother that way.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation


Unless there is some specific geographic restriction you should be OK to travel to Chatham County and if you are contemplating moving contact your P.O. and discuss the move and apprise them of your new address. SEU is fairly liberal regarding these issues.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.


You would need to notify your Probation Officer of a change of address. As far as long distance travel within the state, it is normally not required to report travel within the state. However, it would be a good idea to mention this issue to your Probation Officer and get an official answer for your specific situation. I hope this information helps you. Good Luck!!!
George McCranie IV

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.