Skip to main content

Travel to Mexico with DUI arrest in US and other misdemeanor (drugs) on record.

Seattle, WA |

My husband was arrested for a DUI over a year ago and it was plead down to a negligent driving offense. He also had a drug arrest from 10 years ago on his record. All fines, communitiy service, sentences have been completed. He was denied entry into Canada a couple of months ago due to the drug arrest. We would like to travel to Mexico for our 10 yr wedding anniversary. He has a valid passport but I need to know, before booking the trip, if he going to run into trouble due to his past mistakes? What are the travel restrictions for entry into Mexico? I cannot seem to find any real info on the Mexican EMbassay website.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am licensed to practice law in Mexico and NY. I was asked a similar question last year, and could not find anything that would make the alien inadmissible to Mexico. I even asked a person from the Mexican Foreign Service and was told that the Mexican immigration authorities did not ask about criminal record of visitors. As far as I know, the form filed by visitors at points of entry do not ask about it either.

Having said that, I did not find either something that would specifically allow foreigners with criminal record to enter into Mexico.

So this is not a "go ahead," but a "more likely, nothing will happen." Talk to your spouse and make a decision.

[Disclaimer: in accordance with’s Terms and Conditions of Use, no Attorney-Client Relationship arises between you and me unless we have a written contract. This and all of my answers are intended for “general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues.” Terms and Conditions of Use, section 9].

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer