Skip to main content

Travel to Canada

Hartford, CT |


I am currently in the US on an extended L2 petition(I797) and I-94 that expire in Dec 2014.
I do not have the visa stamped on my passport(Indian) as I have not traveled out of the US yet.

I am planning to visit Canada for a week for tourism(have applied for Canadian tourist visa).
Can you please tell me if I require a stamped L2 visa on my passport for me to enter back into the US via air or by road?
Or the extended L2 petition(I797) and I-94 are enough for me to enter into the US.

Thanks in advance!

I entered the US on L2 visa, that expired in Mar 2013 and was then renewed until Dec 2014.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You haven't told us what visa stamp you used to enter the US.

Most likely, a trip of less than 30 days will be OK under the visa re-validation rule.

Because your visa is 'tied' the the L-1 primary person ... you'll need proof that he/she is in status.

I suggest you talk to the company's immigration attorney before you travel ... do NOT talk to non-attorneys in HR.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You can be outside of US in Canada for up to 30 days without a need for a visa.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Should be fine if less than a 30-day trip and you come back before L-2 status expires. Keep the number of an immigration attorney handy just in case you get issues at the border coming back. Go prepared with proof of L-1 AND L-2 status, including, for the L-1, a letter from employer stating your spouse is still employed there on L-1

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.