Skip to main content

Time frames for filing declarations. OSC's & RFO's. In family law.

Van Nuys, CA |

I filed an RFO. The other side filed a response. What's the dead line for me to file a reply to there response?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A reply must be filed at least 5 court days before the hearing. I will add that you should never go to court without an attorney. There is a reason there are lawyers. You can spend some money now on an attorney, or a lot of money later trying to fix mistakes that you will inevitably make. Please consider hiring an attorney before you go to court. Our office offers free consultations at 818-646-5300.

No response should be construed as formal legal advice. The acknowledgement of this information or submission of a question to and receipt of an answer from this law firm does not create a client - attorney relationship.


five (5) court days before the hearing. If you have found this helpful and/or the best answer, please let the attorney know by checking the appropriate box below. It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best of luck to you

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Let me define "a court day." Many people confuse it with a "calendar day" or a "business day." It's everyday the court is open. For example, California courts now have furlough days which means they are closed at least one Wednesday per month; also, some courts recognize holidays that the rest of us do not recognize, e.g. March 31--Cesar Chavez Day. So, 5 court days can compute to up to 8 calendar days. Recommend you visit the court's website and check the closure dates just to make sure you are not late in filing your reply declaration.

PLEASE READ--before emailing, commenting or calling: As a rule, I do not respond to "comments" that are designed as follow-up questions to the originally-posted question. I specifically do this as to avoid creating any confusion to the originating author of the question and to prevent any attorney-client relationship from forming--as this is not the goal or intent of this attorney or the Avvo creators. Further, I am only licensed to practice law in the State of California; therefore, any information provided in this answer is intended for application in California. Second, the information provided in this answer is solely intended to serve as GENERAL INFORMATION, and, at most, to serve as a catalyst for discussion between you and an attorney. Under no circumstance, is this information provided in this "Answer" intended to be construed as legal advice--and is not to be considered legal advice for any purpose. If you wish legal advice, then it is recommended that you contact a licensed attorney in your area to discuss the particulars of your case. Only by engaging in a meaningful discussion with a licensed attorney, can an attorney then provide you with legal advice.


To this discussion I would add that you can use the COURT DATE CALCULATOR on the Los Angeles Superior Court's website located at The COURT DATE CALCULATOR tab is located on the bottom of the opening screen. Follow the directions by entering your hearing date and then entering -5 to find the correct date to file your Response. On this site, under the tab FAMILY LAW, CASE SUMMARIES, you can also enter your case number and check the Court's online data regarding your case, including a list of all documents filed with the Court.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer