Skip to main content

Time frame to contest a divorce in WA State?

Redmond, WA |

I was served divorce papers while I'm serving time in jail.
My Spouse is asking for everything. We have no kids.
Married 18 yrs.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


20 days if you were served in the State of Wa. -- 60 days if you were served in another State.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.


Being in jail does not entitle you to extra time. Here's a publication about responding to family law actions while incarcerated:


You cannot "contest" a divorce in the sense that you can stop it from happening. If one party wants a divorce the other party cannot stop it.

This is not legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer