Ticketed for urinating in public in Texas

Dallas, TX |

It was written on a ticket stub also used for driving tickets. On the ticket, the "non-traffic" check box is checked. The cop wrote me the ticket and went about his business. I went ahead and just paid it. The cost of the ticket was $329. On the county court receipt printout there are a couple of things that mean nothing to me: under the heading "F" there's a "1" filled in. Under the heading "A" there's a "C" filled in.

I am wondering whether this is a violation or a misdemeanor. Does this go on my record and will it come up when a prospective employer does a background check?

Filed under: Criminal defense

It is a class "C" misdemeanor. If you paid it and received a non-supervised deferred adjudication it can be expunged, which means completely wiped off your record.

If you received anything else it will be on your record forever. Most attorneys will look up how it was classified and let you know if anything can be done.

I didn't take any steps other than to pay it off. So am I out of luck?

Stephen Neil Foster

Stephen Neil Foster

Depends. They might have just given "deferred". Generally speaking, you can get it if you ask. Almost any lawyer will check for free. It just takes a phone call and it is the secretary that does it.

So do I need to answer yes to this: If you have any type of criminal record, history or other information in response to one or more of the questions below, you must disclose the information and supply the details on this application form. Please note that the disclosure obligation applies to many traffic or traffic-related violations or other offenses that you may view as minor. You may omit: {a} minor traffic violations for which you paid a fine of $300 or less; {b} any offense committed before your 21st birthday which was adjudicated in a juvenile court under a youth offender law or program; {c} misdemeanor marijuana convictions two years from the date of such conviction; and {d} misdemeanor minor in possession of alcohol for which you paid a fine of $300 or less and received no other sentence or penalty. {e} any convictions that the court expunged, sealed or erased. *Have you ever had a finding or verdict of guilt imposed by a court or have you otherwise been convicted or found guilty of a crime, regardless of whether any fine, penalty or sentence was imposed, served, probated, suspended, deferred (as in deferred adjudication), or otherwise withheld or set aside (for example, a finding of guilt or sentence held in abeyance and later dismissed upon meeting certain conditions such as good behavior, community service, completion of a course, or other requirements)? Include any conviction by a general or special court-martial while in military service.

Stephen Neil Foster

Stephen Neil Foster

Unless you have obtained an "expunction" you will need to answer "yes".