Skip to main content

This question is for a probate lawyer in NYS.. How can I claim my inheritance if after 16 years,

Poughkeepsie, NY |

my siblings already took everything and never returned calls. They would evade the issue everytime I brought it up. They might have been responsible for disrupting my life costing me a home, a job and a car.
My brother in law in fact threatened my life if I did not leave before my mothers passing... What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should speak to an attorney to discuss the specifics. He will need to know whether your mother had a will, whether that will was probated, and whether a probate proceeding was ever commenced and/or concluded.


Were there any estate proceedings? Your only recourse here is to attempt to re-open them. If they never happened, then time may have ran out at this point, however speak with an estates attorney at length to be sure.


You need to consult with a probate attorney as of yesterday as your time may have already run out.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.