Skip to main content

This past year my CPA put my ex's social security number on my paperwork. My ex is not wanting to amend paperwk, what can I do

Colorado Springs, CO |

My ex and I divorced last year, first time filing separately. Both still going to CPA, he initially refused to fix. IRS sent us both paperwork, he refuses to send it to amend.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


All you can do is your part and have your CPA send the IRS a letter that the ex refuses to amend the return. The IRS will go after him then. You no longer have control over him and this is really not an issue for the court to decide. Maybe you should have him google articles about how Wesley Snipes liked serving his prison term for jerking around the IRS. They are the only profession other than used car salesmen that have a lower public confidence than attorneys.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.


You don't need his cooperation to file an amendment, then he can deal with the IRS. Tell CPA to do what he can without the ex.

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice. Please contact us at 954-916-2667 or in Florida for a FREE evaluation and legal advice pertaining to your particular claim. We give telephonic consultations and handle claims electronically nationwide


File a form 1040x amended tax return. Contact a tax attorney in your area if you need additional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer