Skip to main content

The v.a. has been giving my dad meds that were recalled in 2010 because of fatal health problems they cause.

Columbus, OH |

he was just told that hes in stage 4 liver psorosis because of taking this medicine. Can he sue them for giving him medicine that was recalled??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

I am very sorry to hear about your father. Whether or not your father has a medical malpractice claim against the V.A. and its doctors depends on multiple factors. First and foremost, medical malpractice claims have a statute of limitations. This is essentially an expiration date. If you do not bring the claim before the expiration date than it is too late. You could have the best medical malpractice case in the world, but you need to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations (or expiration date). Therefore, seek a free consult with a medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible.

Assuming there is still time to file the lawsuit, a medical malpractice attorney will gather all your father's medical records and have them reviewed by medical experts. If a medical expert finds that the V.A. breached the standard of care by giving your father this medication and it caused his stage 4 liver psoriasis than you may have a claim. Best of luck!

This web site is designed for general information only. The information on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Because every case is different, the description of awards and cases previously handled does not guarantee a similar outcome in current or future cases.


Possibly. He should immediately consult with a medical malpractice attorney as there are strict claim requirements.


Your family should use avvo or google to find an attorney that specializes in VA medical malpractice claims. VA claims are very different than claims at private hospitals. They are regulated by the Federal Tort Claims Act, or FTCA. Certain forms must be filled-out (Standard Form 95) and then the government investigates. If they deny the claim, you have 6 months to bring a lawsuit in federal court before a federal judge (no jury). The rules of the game will be very different than a routine lawsuit under the Ohio state rules. So be sure to locate an attorney that says YES when you ask if he or she has handled VA hospital malpractice claims in the past.


Have a local malpractice lawyer investigate

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer