Skip to main content

The school won't help my child who has special need

Charlotte, NC |

Would you please read my story at

The school counselor showed me that there are 2 emergency care for psychology problem:
one in CMC-Randolph located on Billingsley and the other one is Presbyterian .
She told me to go to Presbyterian.

Now, thinking it all over again, I feel like I am bullied by the counselor.
She told me intentionally.
Why? I think since I am a foreign national, I assume that the school might think my child does not have rights for special education. I was so occupied about my child not attending school that I just want him to get education as soon as possible and I forgot that the school might hate the fact that I am not an American citizen and not a tax payer at

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You should enroll your child in the public school near your home. It is unlawful for the school district to refuse educational services to a child living in their district without having provided due process. You should request that your child be assessed by the school psychologist for the purpose of determining what special education services he will need and is entitled to. The school is not likely discriminating against you based on your nationality, the school actually receives extra funding for special needs children and children whose first language is not English. It is not clear how old your child is or what his disability might be. Public schools cannot refuse you service because you are not an American citizen or an American National. You can file a complaint with the NC Department of Education. You can also hire a special education attorney who will insure that your child gets the educational services they are entitled to. You can find an attorney here on Avvo or by calling the local bar association.
Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.