The school's financial aid office gave me grants and loans after I submitted my FAFsa application with a mistake in it.

Pennsauken, NJ |

Now they want the money back and said that I will be reported with a record on my history because I provided misinformation. Why did they give me money in the first place if I was not eligible. I also indicated that I graduated in 2013 in my application, they should have seen that and determined my qualifications before giving me the grants.

You are not going to win this fight. If there was an error on your application you should return the money that you were not entitled to. Government entities that err in paying out public funds can collect those funds back with interest. It would be unfortunate if you were to have a blemish on your academic transcripts as a result of an error. Clearly they erred, however you cannot benefit or gain an unfair advantage due to the schools mistake. You should consult an educational attorney as soon as possible and attempt to work out a repayment plan that doesn't result in a blemish on your academic records.
Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Thank you for your answer. If there was a mistake on the application, I was just confused why the school did not notify me earlier so I could fix my FAFSA. Repaying the school the money is a problem but having a history record is a bigger problem I'm afraid when I really did not know about this error on my application.

Randy Jay Harvey

Randy Jay Harvey

Mistakes are made. Don't make another one by not addressing the situation right away. Speak with a lawyer in your area and have her/him assist you in straightening this out. I know it will cost you some money, but you don't want to be ten years from now and wonder why you didn't clear it up and be in a place where it is affecting your opportunities. Best of luck.

I called FAFSA to confirm my information and they could not explain where I made a mistake either. They suggested me to go talk to my financial aid office and hopefully they'll understand that it was an honest mistake. Do you think this is okay to talk to the office first or should i talk to an attorney before everything else?

Randy Jay Harvey

Randy Jay Harvey

Talk to an attorney so you will know what questions to ask when you talk to legal aid. You may even want your attorney to do the talking for you. Don't take chances with this by trying to save a nickel or two, it is too dangerous for your career. All the best!