The pictures of me with my wife to be included in my marriage-based AOS package can be black and white photocopies?

Santa Ana, CA |

Or those should be actual colored photos on photo-paper? Because I have none of the pictures in physical. All of them are in our laptop.

Similarly, the physical mail that me and my wife have received in our individual and collective names on our home address, if I want to attach those mails as evidence, do I need to attach the actual mail with the package or just the photocopies of their envelopes would be enough?

Lastly, do I need to take photocopy of all pages of my passport, although my passport is brand new and I have U.S. port of entry stamps on just one page of the passport. Rest of the passport is blank.

P.S: I'm already in the U.S. and I'm filing for my AOS in the U.S.

Best Answer

Color copies of photos are not required but look nice and clean.
Copies of mail and envelopes are sufficient but bring originals to interview for comparison.
Submit copies of any passport pages that have any stamp/visa/info of any kind. Bring original to interview.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Your responses to questions no 1 and 3 are opposite to those submitted by the other attorney who answered to this post. Why?

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Because we have been filing these applications as I suggested and have never had any problems. I assume attorney Sharma has also filed and not had any problems either. The fact is, either way will work.

Ok thanks sir. I understand your point. Please answer another question here, if possible. My ex-Marine USC wife is getting around $3,000 each month as direct deposits from Veterans Affairs department into her bank account for her studies in a local school in Orange County. To prove her ability to support me, can we attach her bank statements as well as the copy of official letter from Veterans Affairs department approving her study stipend? Would my filing a joint tax return with her for the year ending 2012 and then attaching the return with the package help my case ( considering the fact that the study stipend is not taxable and there's no W-2 or 1099 sent by Veterans Affairs dept. Hence, a tax return can't also be filed supposedly). I would be indebted if you could guide me in this scenario.

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Generally for US military (including retired) we attach any type of official documentation that would indicate income of any sort from the government. The documents you suggest should be fine.

1) Print color pictures and send them along with the application.
2) Photocopies of the documents are to be sent.
3) Send a complete copy of the passport; including blank pages.
Assuming this is a USC IR petition.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Tripti Sharad Sharma

Tripti Sharad Sharma

I agree with Samuel. There are no hard and fast rules for how you present your evidence when you file your petition. I mentioned what has worked for my cases in the past and Samuel, also a very competent and responsive Avvo attorney provided his thoughts based on his experience. You present your evidence and the IO will decide at the interview what additional documents, original or photocopy will suffice.

Printing them in black and white is fine. I usually write the date on them also.

Don't worry about copying every page of your passport.

Bring the mail to the interview, not the envelopes.