Skip to main content

The mother did not accept the child support I was giving, why?

San Diego, CA |

I was going to start paying child support and I need to pay the mother total of $65 but she doesnt accept the money I was giving to her, and I need to pay her because thats the order, she told me she cannot accept any child support from me, She said I have to give the money to her Lawyer then her lawyer will give the money on her, why its like that? are they planning something? my due is March 1, 2013 and need to pay her the $65,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Look at your orders to see where the child support is supposed to go. It is odd that she would request you send the attorney the child support - but to cover yourself send it to the lawyer with a cover letter explaining why you are sending it to the lawyer. Keep a copy of the payment and the letter for your records. Start keeping a payment journal that lists date, amount and where sent so if there are issues later you have evidence of your payments. Do not pay in cash - money order or check. You could also set an automatic bill pay each month if the attorney tells you that you should be giving it the payment to your ex.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established..


I agree with the excellent advice of counsel above. I would just add that, in my opinion, it is safe and sometimes preferred to send a money order or cashiers check from the bank because those are traceable from the bank , which is a credible source to prove payment arrangements, should an issue arise. Just be sure to keep the carbon copy receipt, which shows when you went to the bank and purchased it and who was made payable.
If you found this helpful please check the helpful box on the side, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best of luck.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


It sounds like the parties are trying to create a record. If the payment is paid to her attorney, the attorney will have to deposited into an escrow account, and then, there will be a record of the payments made which can be accessed by the court. In some states, payment of child support can only be made through the Child Suport Enforcement Agency. It sounds like they wish to create a record. Don't pay in cash. Pay by check, and keep a copy. Good luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.



yes I bought money order and I put to the Mothers'name, I only made xerox copy of money order. Is her lawyer gonna charge her everytime I send the money order to her Lawyer? I only pay $13 monthly, or they just wanna give me hard time because they know I dont have job yet?

Curt Perri Bogen

Curt Perri Bogen


Doubt it-- not for those amounts.... Keep your copies and take them when you go to Court....Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer