Skip to main content

The house that my ex and I had has now been paid off and I want to do a quit claim deed to take my name off the title.

Phoenix, AZ |

I have remarried since and so my name is now different then what is on the title. Is this going to be a problem when we fill out the quit claim deed? The divorce papers did say he was getting the house and he paid it off.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The key is to make sure the quitclaim makes clear that the person signing below as "Mary Lamb" was formerly known as "Mary Sheep". This way, when title companies search the public records in the future, there will be a clear chain of title.

Accessing this website or receiving an electronic transmission from Nagle Law Group, P.C., or any specific attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C., does not create an attorney-client relationship or any other duty on the part of Nagle Law Group, P.C. An attorney-client relationship is only created upon an express agreement with an attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C.


Actually, your name could have been removed from the title by Quit Claim Deed even before he paid it off.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz


It is surprising the ex spouse did not take care of that at the time of divorce since it was to his own benefit.



I was told by an adviser not to do this until the house was paid off or he refinanced it. Since he did not refinance it, I waited until it was paid off.


Yes it should not be any problem at all. The quit claim should have been done when the divorce took place. Be sure it is not just signed but also recorded.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer