Skip to main content

The high school daughter of a cousin of mine in Germany would like to come to Indiana to attend high school for one semester.

Lafayette, IN |

Her intent was not to participate in an official foreign student exchange program, but rather simply live with us (as her relatives) and attend public high school for a semester. She would be 17 years old and a junior. What are the legalities of this situation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am sure that a guardianship would be acceptable. However, why don't you contact your local school and see what they would require. Perhaps there is something short of a legal proceeding that would be acceptable.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. (219) 836 2200


Attending public school might violate conditions attached to her U.S. entry.
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St. Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174