Skip to main content

The final disposition a Drunk in Public case was "Dismissed." Does that mean the person was or was not convicted?

Chantilly, VA |

The person pled GUILTY to Drunk in Public in the Commonwealth of Virginia

Code Section : 17-7 Case Type : Misdemeanor Class : 4

Hearing Information RESULT HEARING TYPE PLEA Continued Adjudicatory Continued Disposition Guilty Finalized Review Progress After the Disposition and leading up to the Review Progress, which was six months later, the person was on suspended imposition of sentence.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Without looking at the court records myself, it sounds as though the judge allowed for the matter to be taken "under advisement" for a period and then dismissed the matter as complied with law. If that is what happened, then they were not convicted because "convicted" means "found guilty." Their true status is somewhere in between.

This response is general in nature and is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship is formed by it.



Thanks, but I'm not sure I explained fully. The person admitted guilt during the continued disposition. Does that change anything?


It sounds like a program which allows a person to avoid a conviction if a probationary period is satisfied.

Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
Defending your rights since 1990
1 (800) 996 -4824
Email: :
Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O


It appears as if he or she was not convicted. The courts in Virginia have the ability to withhold a finding a guilt and eventually dismiss the case even if a person enters a plea of guilty.

If you are asking the question for yourself, talk tto an attorney to verify the record, and be careful before filling out paperwork indicating that you don't have a conviction.

If you are considering an expungement, you should also talk to an attorney to see if the matter can legally be expunged from your record.