Skip to main content

The father of my wife's children has agreed to sign over his rights. How do we go about making this happen?

Hollidaysburg, PA |

He has not had contact with the kids in over 3 years. The boys would like to have me adopt them which would be my honor. We live in the state of Pa where gay marriage is not legal but we are married through the state of Maryland. Our boys cry day in and day out to have their last names changed. We have proof from the father that he will sign over rights. Is this at all possible and if so what steps must be taken to get this done quickly and efficiently the first time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will need to go to court and have a formal stipulation signed, please work with a local attny, take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Having proof he will and actually doing it are two different things. A name change is much easier than an adoption as far as whether you need the father's consent, at least in Ohio. See a local attorney.


Although your marriage is not (yet) recognized in PA, but adoption is possible - PA does allow adoption by same sex couples.

This is not intended to provide legal advice about your situation - just a few casual remarks about a legal question. We are a debt relief agency helping people file for bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer