Skip to main content

The driver that hit my car had no insurance, I only have PLD. Does he have to pay for my repairs?

Monroe, MI |

As Michigan is a no fault state, am I still entitle to money from him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Small claims court is always a good option.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.

John K Lassen

John K Lassen


The website has great info. car accident attorney Philadelphia


In researching this issue for you, I came across an extremely useful site:

It's against the law in Michigan and frankly every other state that I am aware of, to drive a motor vehicle without basic car insurance. It appears from the information contained within the site I listed, that your basic no fault insurance will not pay for damage to your vehicle.

As one the other contributor advised, it appears your course of action is to file a lawsuit against this other driver. You can also contact the dept. of motor vehicles and they will more likely than not suspend his or her license.

In order to have your vehicle covered for damages in the event of a future accident, consider paying for collision coverage. Hope this helps!



Michael Rott

Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship; that due to the various state laws that the information provided is a general overview of work comp law, which might not be applicable to you, based upon the laws of your state. We will not file anything on your behalf nor protect any statute of limitations which might arise and recommend that you IMMEDIATELY consult legal counsel for advice.


I agree with the other attorneys. Try small claims court.


You may be able seek up to $500 under the mini-tort statute for your property damage. See this legal guide by Michigan Autolaw expert Tom James.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer