Skip to main content

The AC unit in our Florida rental home has failed, and the landlord will not fix. What are my options?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

I rent a house in St Pete Florida, and the AC unit has stopped working, The landlord is having severe financial and legal issues, and claims he can not afford to do the work or replace the unit. I know the landlord is battling foreclosure, and he probably just doesn't see the benefit of tossing away his money on a house he may not have in a few months. What are my options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Send a 7 day letter to cure or you will withhold rent. Send the letter certified mail return receipt requested. give 7 days after receipt of the letter to fix.

You may be able to get the landlord to agree that you will fix the A/C and deduct it from the rent. Get it in writing and signed by both parties.


Read section 83.51 Florida statutes. You can do the seven day process above and then withhold rent. You can also move to a place with a better landlord. I suggest moving so you are not dealing with this landlord and his troubles in the future.

Mr. Warrick is licensed to practice law in Florida and Alabama. This response is not legal advice and responing to your question does not create an attorney/client relationship or any future obligation. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Warrick strongly advises the questioner to consult with an local attorney in order to ensure proper advice is received.


Do as the other attorneys suggest. Send the 7 day letter only if you want to stay there. Then repair and deduct.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Carol Lynne Zimmerly


You can also send the seven day letter to terminate. Just make sure the language says that the landlord has 7 days to cure and the specific problems you are having and that you will consider the contract terminated if he doesn't cure within 7 days after receiving the letter. send it certified.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer