Skip to main content

Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 194 and counterclaims.

Houston, TX |

I am suing a corporation in Texas small claims court. The attorney for the defendant is asking me to disclose all my information regarding the case due to Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 194. I have looked it up, but form what I find, it is only a request. From what I understand, in small claim cases, the plaintiff does not have to disclose any information until the actual court date. Also, i have not received any notice of a counterclaim nor have I been served, but I see that in the "Prayer" they are seeking to recover their court cost. From my understanding, for this to be valid, they would have to file separate for the counter claim and have me served.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The answer to your question depends on which court you are in. In Justice Court, the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure apply, in Small Claims court, they do not. In both of these courts, the Judges have very broad authority to authorize or limit discovery. I suspect that you are in danger of being out-maneuvered by an attorney. If the court you are in is subject to the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure then you are required to respond to the Rule 194 "request." If you do not, then bad things can happen. I would suggest that you at least consult with an attorney to determine if it makes sense for you to retain counsel, and maybe to get some pointers on how you can most likely prevail. You may want to look at chapters 27 and 28 of the Texas Government Code so that you can learn the differences between Justice and Small Claims Courts. The differences are important and can be used against you. I hope that this answer is helpful to you, if so, please consider clicking the "helpful" button below (or even the "best answer" button if you are really impressed). Thank you and good luck!

The above comments are based only on the information presented in your online question and are not meant as specific legal advice and should not be relied upon by you as legal advice. There may be other facts which would impact your situation which may not be included in your question. I have not been retained as your lawyer, and I do not possess enough information to give you a legal opinion on the outcome of your dispute nor can I completely answer your question without an opportunity to fully discuss all of the facts of your situation. I can only be retained as your lawyer by both of us signing a written engagement letter. You should retain a lawyer to advise you before making any decisions relating to the issues raised in your online inquiry. You should retain a lawyer quickly, because there may be time limits which impact your legal situation. I HAVE NOT PROVIDED ANY LEGAL ADVICE TO YOU AND URGE YOU TO GET A LAYWER. I provide a free initial consultation. If you are interested in talking with me, please call 713-666-1981.



I filed the suit in small claims (Justice of the peace), but in their response, it states Justice Court. Since I field in Small claims, then it would not apply, correct?

Andrew Daniel Weisblatt

Andrew Daniel Weisblatt


It would not be responsible for me to try to answer your specific question without looking at the documents. I'm sure that's frustrating to you, and I apologize for it, but it is very fact specific and I just cannot tell from the information you have provided.


Your last question first; the defendant does not need to file a counterclaim to get court costs. If you lose the case, then the defenedant is entitled to get its costs back. Now "court costs" do NOT include attorney's fees, so don't be misled by that.
In small claims court some discovery is allowed, but is regulated by the judge. It is limited, so they would have to show they really need it. On the other hand, if you have accidently filed in justice court (they use the same judge) then the rules for discovery apply. You may want to sit down with an attorney and pay for a consult to get a game plan for moving forward correctly.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.


I agree with the other lawyers who have responded. I would add only that your chances of winning a case pro se where the defendant has a lawyer and you don't are extremely poor. Even in small claims court, the judge is required to follow the law. If one side knows the law and the other side doesn't, the side that doesn't is at a tremendous disadvantage and, therefore, almost always loses.

You cannot learn how to prosecute your case successfully on this or any other website. I suggest you consult a lawyer right away. If you cannot or will not hire a lawyer, you might want to consider saving yourself some time, money and anguish by simply abandoning the enterprise.

I am sorry to be the bearer of the above bad tidings.

Good luck.