Skip to main content

Terminating parental rights in state of CT

Connecticut |

Wondering how hard terminating parental rights can be in CT.
My daughter is 5 years old and her father hasn't seen her since she was 1 year old. He stopped showing up for visitation and owes over 14,000 in child support over the years. My husband wants to adopt her we've been married 3 years and he is the ONLY father she's ever known. So it's her daddy to her.
Would this be grounds to terminate?
How hard would it be?
BIO dads name is on the birth certificate.
If it matters we were NEVER married.

He may willingly sign over his rights, but I just dont know if he will or not and if he doesn't i still want to go through with it.
Please advise me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Below is information regarding termination of parental rights in Connecticut (for the complete list of factors, read through the booklet). You have a high burden of proving by clear and convincing evidence that the termination is in the child's best interests, and one of the following grounds for termination exists:
(1) The child has been abandoned by the parent in the sense that the parent has failed to maintain a
reasonable degree of interest, concern or responsibility as to the welfare of the child.
(2) The child has been denied, by reason of an act or acts of parental commission or omission,
including, but not limited to sexual molestation and exploitation, severe physical abuse or a pattern of
abuse, the care, guidance or control necessary for the child's physical, education, moral or emotional
well-being. Nonaccidental or inadequately explained serious physical injury to a child shall constitute
prima facie evidence of acts of parental commission or omission sufficient for the termination of
parental rights.
(3) There is no ongoing parent-child relationship, which is defined as the relationship that ordinarily
develops as a result of a parent's having met, on a continuing, day-to-day basis, the physical,
emotional, moral and educational needs of the child, and to allow further time for the establishment
or reestablishment of the parent-child relationship would be detrimental to the best interests of the

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer