Terminated from my job and not explained why.

Westhampton, NY |

My manager who fired me has harrassed me many times, I spoke to her boss and she mediated a meeting between both of us. Through out that time she has blamed me for things that are not true nor does she have proof. One of the managers sat me down and told me she is out to get rid of me, that same person showed me my work folder and it was covered in writing of things that I couldnt have done, the manager then showed me other folders and not one was like mine. I know I was bullied, singled out and I lost my job because of a manager with a power trip.Is there a law that can help me due to the fact that I was bullied, singled out and harrassed. Also when the managers sat me down I told them of my personal issues and they told everyone my buisness. They broke there open door policy what can ido

The law protects people from being discriminated against because of their sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, race or national origin. There is no requirement that bosses be nice or truthful. They do not owe you an explanation. It sounds like you're better off without them.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

Thank you jeffery your right. My other question is, the manager fired me over the phone and I dont have proof that she fired me, this manager is notorious for firing people and saying they quit. Should I contact the manager and tell them I want a document explaining why I was fired ?

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Jeffrey Bruce Gold

You could do that, but you could also send them a certified letter, verifying that you've been terminated. I doubt they will give you anything in writing.

Discrimination and even harassment in the workplace are actually legal unless they are based on the employee's race, color, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, arrest or conviction record, marital status, partnership status, or status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses. If you think that your manager harassed you for one of these reasons, you should speak with a local attorney about filing a discrimination complaint against your former employer.

If you had an employment contract, have an attorney review it to determine whether your employer may have violated it.

If you were a union member, you should speak with your union representative about filing a grievance.

Otherwise, unfortunately, you little recourse against your former employer.

You may be able to sue your former manager for tortious interference with a business relationship. Unless she has considerable independent resources, though, it will most likely not be worth your time, expense and energy to pursue such a case.

This answer is provided for guidance only. DO NOT rely on it as legal advice. We DO NOT have an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney in your area for a one-on-one consultation before pursuing any action or making any decisions.

File for unemployment, and then try to get a free consultation with a local employment lawyer. If you hear lawyers declining representation for the same reasons, then you know you have done everything to protect your rights and you can move forward.

What is unfair in the workplace is not necessarily unlawful.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.