Skip to main content

Tenant relocation

Sacramento, CA |

The county health department inspected my rental after my tenants complained. The agency said that the residence was not fit for human occupancy so the tenants had to move out. Apparently the plumbing was not adequate. Do I have to pay for the tenants housing, i.e. a hotel room or a new condo, while the unit is being repaired?

I read that I would have to pay because I breached the lease by not supplying a habitable residence. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes. As the landlord, you are responsible for paying or reimbursing the relocation costs to cover the period while the rental dwelling is uninhabitable. Alternatively, you can pro rate or deduct from the rent that the tenants would otherwise have to pay.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.


Yes, you would be required to pay relocation assistance to your tenants until the premises is fit for human occupancy and they can return. You should immediately contact a local landlord tenant attorney so that you follow the appropriate steps so that you limit your exposure.

The opinion provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer