Skip to main content

Tax return with a itin number instead social security

Oakland, CA |

i got my taxes done but i gave my tax id number because i didnt have a ss for a long time , but my immigration status change and i got a a social security number and i forgot to tell the person how did the taxes for my, i think he used efile.
can i change my tax id number for my social security number still

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes,you can file an amended return up to three years after your original return was due.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.


However, you might not be able to go back and retro-actively change for prior years. Definitely this year as it isn't even April 15th yet. But I would talk to a preparer before you go amending any returns where you did not have an SSN on April 15th of the following year.

Christopher Larson


If tax ID and SS# both lead back to your identity, is that not sufficient?

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.