Skip to main content

Tax return

Chicago, IL |

I worked on campus (2011-2012) and never did my tax return. i had W2 form. Then in October 2012 for one month I worked in a company that sent me 1040 form (when i have to pay taxes). Plus I worked for 4 months from Dec 2012-Apr 2013(here i also got W 2) in another company and also didnt do tax return. How does the fact that i didnt pay taxes (this 1040 form) might effect the situation with getting visa. I want to leave the country now, but later will apply for visa again. Can this thing impact the process of getting visa?
Many thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to file a return both federally and generally speaking, each state you earned income. You should gather your income and expenses documents and speak with an attorney and/or an accountant to assist you in properly filing the necessary forms.

Louis T. Wierenga Assisting in mitigating your business and tax risks. E Twitter @LTWLAW The information provided is for general purposes only and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


Wise words by counsel.

Also, I suggest you act quickly.

Good luck


If you are not a U.S. citizen and are planning to leave the country, you should determine if you are required to apply for a tax clearance certificate. This would require you to be in compliance with your tax obligations. See: