Skip to main content

Tax Question

Los Angeles, CA |

I need a clear answer to this question.My wife is an intending immigrant,she is in Africa and am here in the US.I have heard alot of people say that i must not not file my tax as single because am married,that the consulate during her interview will ask her that your husband is married to you,while did he file tax as single,that it can lead to visa refusal.Because i thought that when my wife come to the US then we will file jointly,but now am here alone.Please kindly reply me what step to take next.Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I've added the topic for your question to include income tax. It is actually a tax question not immigration. The issue is whether you can file married jointly (or married filed separately) on your 1040 even though she is currently abroad. The question I am sure can be answered by a tax attorney or a CPA.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.


If you are married, you have two filing optioins = married filing joint, or married filing separate. Filing single is not an option.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mr. Smith is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in Los Angeles County. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. His phone number is 323-292-4116 or his email address is


You should file jointly or married filing separate; single is not an option.

Andrew B Gordon is a CPA and attorney licensed to practice law in Illinois. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer