Skip to main content

Support through Probation

West Orange, NJ |

Is alimony ever paid through Probation? Does it affect the payor's credit rating for support payments (either/or child support and alimony) to go through probation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Both child support and alimony can be (and are recommend to be) payable through the Probation Department. Such action should not have an impact on one's credit rating...

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
New Jersey Family Law Attorney

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


Yes alimony can be paid through probation. Often it is the best option

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.


Yes - any ongoing support obligation (as opposed to a debt obligation) can be made payable through probation. If there are no arrears, it doesn't affect the payor's credit. I always advise clients to pay a month ahead in case there's every a problem processing a payment.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.


Yes it can be paid through probation and it can affect a credit rating if not paid.

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.