Skip to main content

Superior civil court sanctions...

San Leandro, CA |

What can happen if a defendant or an attorney does not pay sanctions that the judge orders to pay?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


First, you can submit to the court a judgment of the sanctions amount, which you could enforce as any other judgment creditor upon the judgment debtor. Second, some courts may look at the circumstances and determine that it is in contempt to not pay the sanctions and order further sanction, even to strike the answer or somehow limit the evidence at trial or issues that the party in contempt may wish to raise.

Robert Stempler

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APLC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to and submit a free eCase Review.


You can't submit a judgment unless the case is over. There can only be one judgment in each action.

You can however alert the judge that the sanction hasn't been paid. Since the sanctions were ordered by the judge, the failure to comply with a court order is contempt, which may be punishable by further sanctions, including criminal ones.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


you can convert the sanctions order into a judgment. You can bring an OSC re contempt for failure to pay the sanctions motion as well.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer