Skip to main content

Suing a nightclub? My friend fell on a wet, slippery floor (sober).

Williamsport, PA |

We spoke to the owners of the club, and they said the nightclub has NO insurance for things like these. She is having trouble finding a lawyer to even take the case because of the long litigation process that she'd have to go through. S broke my foot and was unable to work, and now she very behind on bills and mortgage. What are her options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


First, I understand why most attorneys are loathe to accept this case. Not only are there some problems with the case itself (such as whether the owner of the club had sufficient "notice" of the unsafe condition to fix it before your friend fell), but without insurance even a "win," may get you nothing. If the owner has no insurance, the only alternative would be to attempt to execute the judgment against assets the owner has, such as the club itself. Even if they have such assets, that is a long and complicated process. Moreover, if the assets are encumbered (such as with a mortgage), they would probably be beyond reach and no one would get anything.

An attorney who would be working on the basis of a contingent fee agreement would shun this case, since in all probability, all they would do, even if they win, is lose time and money. If you want to pay an attorney their hourly fee, however, I'm sure there are many who would accept the case.


Seek a local personal injury attorney to aid you. Don't take the night club's owner's word for it. Also, you can sue the night club directly even without insurance. Also, don't wait as there could be Statute of Limitations issues. If you need a recommendation, contact me anytime. I know several personal injuries attorney in Pennsylvania. Good luck.

Matthew C. Simon, Esq.
The Law Office of John Tierney
1259 Route 46 East
Building 3, Suite 133
Parsippany NJ 07054
Tel: 973-588-3050

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


If there was negligence, a lawsuit can be filed, and it doesn't make a difference whether they have insurance or not. A lawsuit should typically be filed for any slip and fall, as these cases are aggressively defended. Good luck.


Unless your friend worked there, liability will likely hinge upon whether the owner of the establishment had notice of the spill and an opportunity to clean it up. The lack of insurance isnt necessarily troubling since the business owner probably has other valuable assets that can be executed upon. Moreover, the lack of insurance isnt necessarily to be believed until you hear from the bar's carrier.

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pennsylvania 19063


All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit a personal consultation to exploe all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.


It's unfortunate, and I agree with the other attorneys that many attorneys do not like taking on slip and fall cases such as this. However, continue searching for a personal injury attorney in your area that handles these types of cases. Make sure you obtain as much information as you can regarding how you fell, what caused you to fall, how that liquid got to be on the floor causing your fall, how long the substance was on the floor, etc. . . as all this information is essential in determining if the nightclub is at fault.

Good luck!

Gladys Wiles

The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this Website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Firm expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all the contents of this Website. Any information sent to The Firm by Internet e-mail or through the Website is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. Transmission of information from this Website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Firm, nor is it intended to do so. The transmission of the Website, in part or in whole, and/or any communication with us via Internet e-mail through this site does not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship between us and any recipients. Some links within the Website may lead to other web-sites, including those operated and maintained by third parties. The Firm includes these links solely as a convenience to you, and the presence of such a link does not imply a responsibility for the linked site or an endorsement of the linked site, its operator, or its contents. This Website and its contents are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement. Furthermore, The Firm does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this Website in a state where this Website fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer