Skip to main content

Sue for perjury?

Bothell, WA |

Can you sue someone for lying about you that gave you a bad reputation and cost you money? My ex has perjury himslef over and over in his sworn declarations which are easily proven that he lied with other documentations. He continues to lie and gets away with it and it has not only given me a bad reputation, but I been held in contempt and order to pay thousands of attorney fees because of these lies.

I have done that over and over again with the documental facts and still the judge ignores it. He stills continue to lie and condicts every lie he tells.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Instead of a lawsuit, point out the lies to the judge during the hearings when and where the matter is pending. By proving the lies at that time, to that judge, in the future you may avoid contempt and further attorney fees.


You should make the judge aware of the lies during the hearings.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.


You need a good attorney to cross examine. Calling someone a liar is one thing. Having a skilled professional trained in trial skills as your advocate before that judge is the only effective way to compat this. Before you say you can not afford an attorney stop and think about what is at stake in your life and how this is affecting your life. You can not afford not to have an attorney. Find a way.

The answer to your question is no. If a court has based findings and judgments on certain statements, a purjury charge is not going anywhere. Sorry.

My office represents personal injury claims in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.


I agree with the previous answers. It may not be easy for a judge to decide between parties and determine if either or both are being somewhat less than truthful. Having an attorney on your side is greatly beneficial in the process of gathering, organizing, and presenting the evidence to persuade the trier of fact about the truth. Most in-court statements are privileged from prosecution for slander, libel, or defamation of character. It is also rare for anybody to get prosecuted for the crime of perjury. Your best bet in court is to present the truth in a manner that is believable and understandable. Good luck.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Robert Daniel Kelly

Robert Daniel Kelly


See TWELKER v. SHANNON & WILSON, 88 Wn.2d 473, 564 P.2d 1131, (1977) (

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer